One of the few fun things about culture war, in my opinion, is how every available territory gets crammed into this absurd dualistic framework so that people can fight about it, resulting in a fascinating assortment of mystic correspondences.
From a sufficiently advanced perspective, all of the following distinctions collapse into a single bit:
Women vs. Men
Hunanities vs. Sciences
Democrats vs. Republicans
Easy video games vs. Difficult video games
Trans people vs. Cis people
Communists vs. Fascists
Black people vs. White people
Literary fiction vs. Genre fiction
Young people vs. Old people
Disabled people vs. Abled people
Tumblr vs. Reddit
Gay people vs. Straight people
American children’s cartoons vs. Anime
Slavenmoral vs. Herrenmoral
Censorship vs. Free speech
Spirituality vs. Hard atheism
Choice-based interactive fiction vs. Parser-based interactive fiction
Secularism vs. Christianity
Poor people vs. Rich people
Relativism vs. Positivism
Any seeming contradictions in these coalitions/basic ontological categories is purely your imagination.
I scored 9 on one side, 9 on the other and 2 I have no idea.
- L Women vs. Men
- R Hunanities vs. Sciences
- C Democrats vs. Republicans
- L Easy video games vs. Difficult video games
- R Trans people vs. Cis people
- C Communists vs. Fascists
- R Black people vs. White people
- R Literary fiction vs. Genre fiction
- L Young people vs. Old people
- L Disabled people vs. Abled people
- L Tumblr vs. Reddit
- L Gay people vs. Straight people
- C American children’s cartoons vs. Anime
- C Slavenmoral vs. Herrenmoral
- R Censorship vs. Free speech
- C Spirituality vs. Hard atheism
- C Choice-based interactive fiction vs. Parser-based interactive fiction
- L Secularism vs. Christianity
- R Poor people vs. Rich people
- R Relativism vs. Positivism
7 left, 7 right, 6 center/confusion.
NOTE: Fixed to compensate for me mistakenly assuming free speech was on the left of this list.
I would not be surprised if rationalists, having either deliberately discarded American L/R politics or not being American and looking on this with fresh eyes, do not recreate an L/R bias that is strictly rooted in American politics.